If you come across this error when attempting to create E-files in the UltimateTax program, please follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Right-click the UltimateTax icon on the desktop.
- Left click Open File Location.
- Right-click the YY (where YY is the year of UltimateTax, i.e. 17 for 2017) file, and then select Open With.
- In the Open With window, select Notepad.
- When the file opens, if it is blank, you can close the Notepad window, right-click the SubmissionID.YY file in Windows Explorer, select Delete and then click Yes to confirm. (If it is not blank, you can proceed with steps 6-8, but the process may not solve the problem.)
- Open UltimateTax and, on the Tools menu, select Utilities/Setup Options.
- On the Setup menu of the Utility program, select Setup Options.
- On the General tab, set a starting number for the Submission ID. Enter a number that had not previously been used. For example, if you have not prepared more than 1000 returns yet, if you started at the number 1, enter 1000.
- Click Next in each screen until you can click Finish.