Client not in your office and you need to have them sign? No problem! Use the e-Signature feature in your software.
UltimateTax e-Signature gives your clients the ability to electronically sign tax documents, even when they are not in your office. This makes finalizing the return more convenient for your clients and allows you to expand your client base to include individuals who live too far away to come to your office to sign documents. Once the process is complete, your clients automatically receive a completed copy of the return, saving you another step in the process.
Electronically sign any 1040 form, including:
To set up, you must enter your e-Signature login and Security Key in Setup Assistant. To do this, log in as admin, and then:
- On the Tools menu, click Utilities/Setup Assistant.
- On the Utility window, click the Setup menu, then click Setup Assistant.
- Click Next until you get to the Office Information tab.
- In the e-Signature Login section, type your email address, and click Setup/Manage Account.
- If you need more information about e-Signature, click the Learn more about e-Signature link in this section.
- The web browser opens to the SIGNiX webpage. Type your information in the fields provided, including a password, and click Next.
- SIGNiX displays the e-Signature Document Center homepage:
- Close your browser and click Save and Close on the UltimateTax Setup Assistant.
To electronically sign returns, first complete the return. Then, follow these steps:
- While inside the return, click e-Signature on the toolbar.
- UltimateTax asks how your client, identified as the taxpayer (and spouse) in the program, would like to sign the return. Choose one of the options from the drop-down menu, as well as a print packet of forms to send.
- Click Sign Document.
- If the taxpayer chooses In Person (this computer), UltimateTax opens the Signix webpage to continue the process.
- For In Person (smartphone or client device) and Remote, UltimateTax sends the client an email to complete the signatures.
- For either option that generates an email, the taxpayer should click the link in the email, as shown below:
To complete the signature, the taxpayer must:
- Read the legal consent information, and select Accept. Enter the last four digits of the Social Security Number and the birthdate. Click Next.
- The taxpayer will answer the Knowledge Base Authentication questions to confirm his/her identity, and click Next.
- The taxpayer will type a password and re-type to confirm.
- The taxpayer can choose to use one of 6 preset signature fonts, or draw the signature:
- Once the taxpayer chooses a signature method, he/she will click On to View/Sign.
- Signix asks the taxpayer to confirm if he/she is ready to sign, and provides an option to review documents first.
- Once the taxpayer clicks Go!, the webpage displays the forms that require signatures.
- The taxpayer will click the Click to Sign tab to insert the signature in each location. One all signatures have been entered, Signix confirms the process is complete, and the taxpayer can click Finish.
- If another taxpayer needs to sign this return, follow these same steps using the email link that the taxpayer received.