UltimateTax Online offers the option to obtain signatures for a completed return without the need of the client being right there in the office! Once you have completed a tax return, you can use eSignature to have the taxpayer, spouse, preparer and ERO to electronically sign the tax return.
Note: The eSignature button is grayed out unless you are logged in as the Admin or a user with the SuperUser role or eSignature role.
- To create the envelope to be sent for electronic signature, do one of the following:
- Inside an open return, click eSignature.
- On the Return List (Tax Returns tab), click Request Signatures.
- Select one of the following for the taxpayer and/or spouse (if applicable):
- In-Person - Choose this option if the taxpayer or spouse is physically present in your office and you have verified their identity. They will sign using their smartphone, tablet or other device.
- Remote -Choose this option if the taxpayer or spouse are not physically present and signatures are to be obtained remotely. You must meet certain requirements (see IRS electronic signature rules) to select this option. Before the taxpayer or spouse is able to sign their return remotely they will be asked identification questions in order to verify their identity.
- On Preparer's Device - Choose this option if the taxpayer or spouse is physically present, you have verified their identity and they will sign using your computer or another device.
- Don't Sign Electronically - Choose this option if the taxpayer or spouse is not going to sign electronically.
- Enter the email address for the taxpayer and/or spouse (if applicable). This is the email address where they will receive an email containing a link to the documents to be signed if In-Person or Remote is chosen in step 2. The Primary and Spouse HAVE to be different emails.
- Note: If the email address was entered on the Main Information Sheet, you will not be able to make any changes to the email address on this dialog. Any changes will have to be made on the Main Information Sheet.
- Select the following for the ERO and/or Preparer:
- Don't Sign Electronically - Choose this option. Make sure to mark Print Signature on the 8879 and Print as signature on the Main Information page.
- Enter the email address for the ERO and/or Preparer.
- Note: The preparer email address is calculated from Settings > Manager Users.
- Note: The ERO Name must be entered on Form 8879 either in the ERO signature field of the return, in a return template, or in Settings > General Settings > ERO.
- Click Submit.
- The eSignature Summary dialog box will display showing the status of the envelope. If "On Preparer's Device" was selected, click Sign Now for each individual.
- Each individual that selected In-Person or Remote will receive an email containing a link to the documents that need to be signed. Once the documents are signed, they will be displayed in the return's Vault.
Common Errors when creating E-Sign.
Cannot create eSign
On the Main Information page be sure to fill in the Firm Name, Email address of preparer and Click Print as signature.
Missing ERO Name
On the 8879 fill in the Preparer Information and click Print Signature.
Missing Emails for Tax Payer and Spouse
The emails must be different for taxpayer and spouse.
ERO and Preparer email missing
The best way to get your esignature to work best, is to Print the signature as ERO and Preparer. There is no other requirement that the preparer sign electronically.