What is a Submission ID or SID?
The submission ID is a 20-character string that identifies a MeF e-file submission. It is created when you transmit your return to the IRS or to a state DOR through UltimateTax. When the return is accepted and the acknowledgement processed, it will appear in the Return Status window when in a return. (F7)
An example is shown below using the following number: 070743-2010-073-0000001
- 070743 - First six digits are always your EFIN
- 2010 - Next four digits are always the current year
- 073 - Next three digits are the Julian date
- Alpha character - indicates the tax year
- 000001 - Unique control number generated by your software. This number is assigned each time you create the e-file for the return. The number will increment by one each time you create an e-file for the return.
State returns will have a different Submission ID than the Federal return for the same taxpayer.