Beginning with UltimateDR 14:
- Enter the first four states on the W2 screen. Then click the Additional Entries tab (upper left corner) to enter up to an additional 10 states.
- To enter more than 14 states, split the W-2 onto additional W2 screens, following the instructions below.
- For boxes 12 and 14, you can enter up to 4 entries on the W2 screen. On the Additional Entries tab, you can enter an additional 4 entries. (See the screenshot below for the Additional Entries tab of the W2 screen.)
When you view the return, the Form W2 (W2_XS in UltimateDR 14-15) will display line 15 figures as well as the additional entries for boxes 12 and 14.
UltimateDR 13 and earlier, and for W2s reporting more than 14 states:
- Complete the available state fields from the W-2 on the W2 screen.
- Once all available state fields are complete, split the W-2 onto additional W2 screens, following the instructions below.
To split a W-2 between multiple W2 screens:
- Create the additional W2 screens you need (Page Down).
- Enter the additional state incomes as necessary.
- Split and enter the federal Box 1 amount from the taxpayer's W-2 on the W2 screens proportional to the sum of the individual state amounts you entered on each W2 screen.
IMPORTANT: If the W-2 shows state amounts that total more or less than the federal amount, you may want to evaluate the state or states that cause the variance and determine what taxable amount the state expects to see. Enter the state as shown on the W-2 without regard to its proportionality to the federal amount on a W2 screen, and if necessary use a state screen income override field to enter the amount that the state expects. Call UltimateTax Support if you have questions about how to enter the W2 screen. Some states do not allow more than 4 states on a single W-2.