Using return templates, you can:
Create a template return with forms and schedules you frequently use
Modify a form to enter specific data, such as information for the third-party designee on Form 1040
Create an itemized list*Creating_Itemized_Lists to attach to specific fields
Add a custom spreadsheet*Creating_Custom_Spreadsheets to support data in the return
After you create a template, select it from the Template list when you begin a new return. The modifications you made to the forms in the template will be included in the new return.
To create a template
- From the Returns menu of Return Manager, click Templates.
- In the Templates window, click Create Template.
- If you have a return open, the program prompts you to swap the open return for the new template. Click Swap.
- From the Select Forms for Template list, select one or more forms, and then click Open Forms. You can select only one signature form for a template.
- When the template opens, you can modify the forms, schedules, and worksheets.
- Click Save.
- When prompted, enter a name for the template in the Name New Template window, and then click Save.
- Close the template.
Modifying a form in a template does not modify the Master Form. For example, if you include Form 1040 in a template and select a check box in the Presidential Election Campaign section, only the 1040 in the template will automatically have this check box selected. When you open a new 1040 return without using the template, the check box will not be selected. To modify Form 1040 so this check box is always selected, modify it as a Master Form.
To modify a template
- On the Returns menu, click Templates.
- Select a template from the Templates list, and then click Edit Template.
- Make the necessary changes.
- Click Save to save your changes, and then close the template.
When you modify the Master copy of a form, templates that already contained the form will not show the modifications. To include the modifications in existing templates, open each template, discard the form, and then add it again. All templates created using the form after you modify the Master copy will include the modifications.