Starting with UltimateDR 17, error message 0500 generates and prevents e-file until an applicable entry is made on the IDS screen.
Due to IRS Security Summit initiatives designed to help prevent identity theft, each individual electronic filing requires one of the following:
- A valid Driver’s license or State Identification for the taxpayer (and spouse, if applicable).
- An indicator that the taxpayer (and spouse, if applicable) does not have a Driver’s License or State Identification
- An indicator that the taxpayer (and spouse, if applicable) did not provide a Driver’s License or State Identification.
Note: UltimateDR will NOT assume an election of type 2 or 3 on the part of a taxpayer or tax preparer.
Options 2 or 3 will clear the federal error message, however, some states may have more specific requirements. Please check the state publications for more information.
- When entering the Issue Date or Expiration Date for the license or state ID you can enter either a 6-digit date (MMDDYY) or 8-digit date (MMDDYYYY) and the software will default the year to 20YY instead of 19YY.
- Important: If entering the 6-digit date, any 2-digit year entry (YY) from '28 forward will default to 19YY instead of 20YY. For expiration dates from 2028 on in UltimateDR 17, you will need to enter the full 8-digit date (MMDDYYYY) in the Expiration Date box, otherwise an entry of 010128 will show as 01-01-1928 instead of 01-01-2028.
- If either the Issue Date or Expiration Date on the driver's license or state issued photo-ID shows only a month and year (MMYYYY), the day should be entered as 01. A valid month and year must be entered in addition to 01 as the date.