When you initially install the program, the Backup feature is set to automatically back up your tax files each time you close the program. To back up files on demand, use the Backup/Restore Returns feature.
If you use third-party software to manually back up data on your computer, we recommend that you back up the entire Payroll 2017 folder, along with all of its content to successfully restore your tax files.
Note: Customer Service does not support third-party-party software used to back up data.
We recommend that you allow the program to back up automatically so you can be assured your data is backed up regularly. As the volume of returns you prepare increases during the season, consider backing up more frequently.
To back up returns
- Click the Return Manager tab.
- On the Returns menu, click BackUp/Restore Returns.
- In the Backup window, click Select All to select all returns, or search for a specific return by entering its name in the Find box.
- Click a return to toggle its selection status. Selected returns are highlighted in blue.
- In the Backup to dialog box, specify the desired backup folder.
- Click Start.
- When the backup is complete, click Close.
The file names of backed up returns will resemble JohnandJaneDoe.bck, for example.
Ideally, backup files should be stored off-site. If you choose to do so, you can customize your backup scheme*Customizing_Your_Backup_Scheme by specifying destinations, such as network drives or removable storage devices. If off-site storage is not feasible, we recommend making a regular practice of copying the program's automatic backups to a CD-R, tape-storage device, or another portable storage medium.