Can I use the backup/restore function to backup PDFs as a group?
Currently, the software does not have a backup/restore function for PDF files only. You may, however, save the PDF document to another location from Enhanced View Mode of the client’s return.
- Open the client’s return and view it.
- Select the forms you wish to be in the PDF document and click Print.
- Choose the UltimateDR PDF Printer. Click Print.
- When the Save As window opens, change the destination to the drive representing your memory stick, thumb drive, flash drive, CD drive, or other external data storage device.
- Rename the file as you wish under File name. Click Save.
If you are using Basic View Mode, you will need to select Print Mode then choose the documents you want to include in the PDF file. Once selected, click Print and continue from #4 above to save the document to your removable/external drive (memory stick, CD, flash drive, thumb drive, etc.).
For instructions on backing up or restoring data files, see Related Links below.
When I try to restore a UltimateDR Software backup, I see a message that says "Process Aborted" and the update process stops.
This problem has been reported during the restore process in current and prior-year versions of UltimateDR as a result of "Unchecky," a freeware utility that is intended to prevent the installation of unrelated programs during the installation of software. To resolve, open the Unchecky control panel and select Suspend service before restoring your backup.
This issue has also been reported when using a program called "ByteFence."
Contact UltimateTax Support at (563) 387-8900 for assistance if you have this anti-malware program installed and are having issues restoring backups.
Why is the program moving at a very slow pace when trying to create a backup?
Because of changes in program file structure, if you are creating a backup from Tools > File Maintenance > Backup, the backup process may not be as rapid as in prior years.
The speed of the backup can also be affected by the amount of returns/date that is being saved. More returns and data may result in longer backup times.
Try the following to increase backup process speed:
- Back up to your local hard drive and then copy the UltimateDR backup from your hard drive to your flash drive. When restoring from a flash drive, it is quicker to copy the backup folder from your flash drive to your hard drive and then restore from the hard drive.
- Select a different backup location. This could be either a different flash or external USB drive, or another location on the computer (such as a network drive).
- Select a smaller number of files to include in the backup.
I am getting a permission denied error when trying to restore my backup. How can I restore my clients from the backup?
A UltimateDR backup on an optical drive and some other kinds of external drives may be marked read-only.
When you try to open a return that was restored from a "read-only" partial backup of client files, a read-only error results:
Restoring a "read-only" full backup of all files may also cause UltimateDR to close as you leave the Restore Files screen after the restore operation is completed and an Invalid Prep ID or Password error to occur when you try to log in again.
To resolve these issues
- For a full solution
- Reset the DrakeYY folder's read-only attribute. Locate the DrakeYY folder in Windows Explorer on the drive where UltimateDR is installed, right-click the folder and select Properties from the drop list. Near the bottom of the Properties dialog box, click the box Read-only option until it is cleared, click Apply and select to apply the change to all sub-folders and files.
- Should you still get read-only errors after clearing the Read-only option, you may have to run a "Command Prompt" instruction to change the “attributes” on the DrakeYY folder to correct the read-only condition. If you reach this point, please contact UltimateTax Support at (563) 387-8900 for assistance.
- Alternatively, if you are able to login, you can resolve this problem for individual client files by going to Tools > File Maintenance > Unlock Client Files.