1. Select the tab of the type of Return for which you want to edit a letter. The 1040 tab has a list of letters for Individual Returns, the 1065 tab has a list of letters for Partnership Returns, the 1120 tab has a list of letters for Corporation Returns, the 1120S tab has a list of letters for S-Corporation, the 1041 tab has a list of letters for Estates and Trusts, and the 990 tab has a list of letters for Organizations Exempt from Income Tax Returns.
2. Under CLIENT LETTERS in the Client Letters editor, select the letter you would like to view and/or modify by clicking on it. Example: To open the Federal Extension letter, click on Extension under the listing of Federal. The letter you are currently viewing will be highlighted. Note: Not every section appears in every letter, so the body of the letter might be blank when you first open it.
a. To view Client Letters in Spanish:
i. Click on FILE in the Menu Bar, and scroll down to OPEN. The SELECT A CLIENT LETTER TO EDIT window will open.
ii. Highlight SPANISH and click OPEN. The window will close and the Client Letters will now appear in Spanish.
iii. Highlight ENGLISH after following the directions above to return the Client Letters to English.
3. Under SECTIONS, select the area of the chosen letter you would like to view and/or modify. The section you are viewing will be highlighted. If the section you click on is not used in the letter you have clicked on, the large screen on the right will remain blank. Once you click on a section that is used in the letter you have chosen, writing will appear in the large right hand screen.
4. To edit sections of the Client Letter:
a. Modify the letter by adding, deleting, or changing the verbiage within the letter.
b. CUT, COPY, AND PASTE by going to EDIT, and scrolling down to the needed function.
c. To use the Keywords function, which allows you to enter variables such as First Name and Last Name,
i. Place the blinking cursor in the letter where you would like to insert the Keyword.
ii. Click on and the KEYWORD window will open. This function is also available from the Menu Bar under Tools.
iii. Choose the Keyword you would like to use from the list by clicking on it. The Keyword will become highlighted.
iv. Click INSERT. To enter another Keyword, click on it to highlight it and click Insert.
v. Click CLOSE when you are finished entering Keywords.
d. To check the spelling of the letter:
i. Click on and the Spelling window will open only if there are any spelling errors in the letter. The misspelled words will be underlined in red. Make appropriate spelling changes as necessary.
e. To make other changes:
i. Click on the other buttons and use the dropdown lists on the Toolbar to change the font type, font size, font bolding, and paragraph alignment.
f. Click on the next Section of the letter you want to edit. You will be prompted to save the previous section just edited. Click YES to save or NO to keep the previous version of the edited section.
5. To preview the Client Letter:
a. Click on and the Preview Client Letter window will open. Additional letters can be previewed by choosing from the dropdown list at the bottom of the screen and clicking PREVIEW. Click CLOSE when you are finished previewing the letter.
6. To save the Client Letter,
a. Click on to save the Client Letter to the current location, or click FILE in the Menu Bar and scroll down to SAVE AS to save to a new location. Create a file name for the Client Letter in the new location.
7. To open a Client Letter saved to a new location:
a. Click to open the SELECT A CLIENT LETTER TO EDIT window. Select the new file to open. This function is also available from the Menu Bar under FILE.
8. To abandon changes made to a letter and reset the default letter:
a. Click to restore the letter to the original. Please note that all edits made to this section of the Client Letter will disappear. This function is also available from the Menu Bar under EDIT.
9. Click to insert the Tax Preparer’s black and white bmp file logo into Client Letters.
10. Click FILE in the Menu Bar and scroll down to EXIT to exit Client Letters.