From the Opening Screen, click on SETUP in the Menu Bar, scroll down to OFFICE SETUP, and click once. The first tab in the new Application Settings screen will be REGISTRATION. This information may already appear if you used this program last year, or it may have been entered during installation.
This information is mostly used by technical support so that they can help you when necessary. Most of this information will appear from entries made with the Installation Wizard.
1. Enter the USER ID number. This number can be found on your picking ticket with your shipment of the program. If you used this program the previous year, this ID will already appear.
2. Enter the NAME. Use the name of the company or the name of the person who will be operating the main computer in your office.
3. Enter the LOCATION. Use your own designation system. For example, if you have 5 locations in one city and identify them as C1, C2….C5, then label them accordingly.
4. Enter the PHONE NUMBER. Use the phone number of the primary contact person at your organization.
5. Enter the FAX NUMBER. Use the fax number of the office where the primary contact person of your organization will be located.
6. Enter the E-MAIL. Use the e-mail address of the primary person or office using the program.
7. Under TRANSMITTING COMPUTER?, make the following selections only if this computer is configured for a Non-Networked, Multiple Workstations setup or a Multi-Office Organization and Service Bureau setup.
a. From the dropdown list:
i. Select TRANSMIT if this computer will be transmitting directly to Central Site as a transmitting computer or a Main Computer.
ii. Select TRANSFER if this is a non-transmitting computer that will be transferring data to a media that will then be transferred to a transmitting computer.
iii. Select FEEDER if this is a Remote Computer that will be transmitting directly to Central Site to communicate with the Main Computer in a MultiOffice or Service Bureau configuration.
b. Check the box next to TRANSFER INCOMPLETE RETURNS if you want all returns, including incomplete returns, to be transferred every time to the transmitting computer.
8. Under RECEIPT NUMBERS,
a. Check the box next to REQUIRED if you want receipt numbers required for all Returns. If this box is checked, a Verify Error will occur if no receipt number is entered.
b. Check the box next to AUTO ASSIGN if you want the program to automatically assign receipt numbers.
c. Enter the RECEIPT RANGES according to minimum and maximum receipt numbers. This program allows you to set two separate Receipt Ranges to correspond to your own accounting system.
9. Under VERIFICATION SETTINGS, make the following selections to control the types of error messages that will appear while processing a tax return.
a. Under PREVENT TRANSMIT ON,
i. Mark the box FATAL ERRORS if you want printing and transmitting to be barred in the case of fatal verification errors. This is the default setting.A fatal error is one that prevents the Return from being accepted by the IRS.
ii. Mark the box ERRORS ABOVE WARNING if you want printing and transmitting to be barred in the case of verification errors above the warning level. This level of error includes errors that occur when a calculated field has been overridden by the User.
iii. Mark the box ALL ERRORS/WARNINGS if you want printing and transmitting to be barred in the case of any and all verification errors. This level of error includes errors that occur when any field has been overridden, including those that are not necessarily relevant to the actual tax return calculations.
b. Check the box DISPLAY WARNING-TYPE ERRORS if you want warning messages displayed during verification for any errors above the warning level.
c. Check the box DISPLAY OVERRIDES AS ERRORS if you want to include overrides as part of the warning messages displayed above when the selection above has been made.
d. Check the box SHRINK VERIFY LIST ON ENTER if you want the Errors on the Error List to disappear as they are remedied during the verification of a Return.
10. Click the bar APPOINTMENT ADDRESS to enter an address that will appear as the company address on calendar appointment letters.
a. Enter the FIRM NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, STATE, ZIP AND PHONE.
b. Click OK to save the information and close the window.
11. In the Application Settings window, click the second tab, E-FILING, to continue with Setup, or click OK to exit Setup and resume later.